Thursday, September 24, 2009

Every Girl's Crazy 'Bout A Sharp-Dressed Panda


Sweet Jesus. While writing yesterday's post and perusing the blog of Lonny magazine co-founder Michelle Adams, I made a rather shocking discovery: Michelle and my husband are soulmates. It all boils down to a shared love of well-dressed animals. Obviously


A few weeks ago, Hubs came home from work and said, "You have to see this," grabbing his laptop and pulling up the Flickr page of Ryan Berkley, the artist behind Berkley Illustration. He sat me down and made me look at every single one of the crazy animal drawings that somehow sprang forth from Ryan's hand, his laughter growing more and more hysterical by the minute. Some of our favourites: 













There is something incredibly sincere about these illustrations: they are so lovingly, painstakingly drawn that they somehow manage to avoid seeming ironic and just come across as... awesome. Michelle Adams wants to show hers off in a super serious, proper frame, which I think is a fantastic idea. It reminds me of the thrift-store painting that Jane and Judy Aldridge bought of the inexplicably sad lion wearing a headscarf: 







I hope to be lucky enough to find something this excellent for my own home someday, and I will be sure to do it justice by ensconcing it in the fanciest frame I can find. A close friend of mine once told me, "It's good to have something tacky in your house — it throws people off." I love that concept. Décor should be fun, and every space needs a little injection of humour and/or bad taste to keep things from looking too perfect. 


What are some of your favourite "tacky" items? 


Illustrations by  Berkley Illustration. Buy them here
Related Posts with Thumbnails