Thursday, October 8, 2009

I Want To Go There: Sexy Living Rooms

While searching for sheepskin rug photos the other day (sorry, Emily!) I came across some gorgeous living rooms that had to be shared. I have trouble motivating myself to leave the apartment for work every morning as it is, so  I can hardly imagine how difficult it would be to haul my butt off the couch if said couch were in one of these striking spaces: 




This is almost, almost my perfect living room. Glamorous crystal chandelier? Check. Lacquer table? Check. Lots of moody grey and black mixed with pops of bold jewel tones? Check. Check. Check. The huge, antique-looking mirror is fab, as is the plush grey throw on the back of the couch. And I love the red cowhide rug, which is playful and unexpected. The only thing I would do to improve this space would be to rip up that boring carpet and replace it with painted hardwood flooring; glossy black or deep grey would look unbelievably sexy. 





When I grow up, can this be my living room? I'm dying over the high ceilings, the incredible floral wallpaper from Timorous Beasties  (seriously, GO check out their wallpaper!) and of course, of course, that amazing velvet-covered chesterfield. I was a little obsessed with chesterfields earlier this year and spent several months trying to find something similar to the one in Alexander Wang's studio — to no avail — but a velvet chesterfield? Yessssss. Someday, it will be mine. 



Photos via Living Etc.


For something a little less opulent (but equally envy-inducing) how about this airy, comfy living room? Although my taste tends to run rampantly girly, I can still appreciate design that's more gender-neutral. Those amazing sculptural floor lamps make the room, but I also love the more subtle touches: the tactile rug, the abstract art on the walls, the ultra-low wood coffee table and the non-cheesy "love" cushion are all thrown together in a stylish, seemingly effortless mix. Wouldn't it be lovely to spend a lazy afternoon here entertaining friends or just gazing out of those vast windows? 


I can hardly write a post on sexy living rooms without mentioning my all-time favourite glamorous space: Jessica Stam's East Village apartment, as featured in Elle Decor last year: 






Perfection. Total and utter perfection. The soft purples mixed with black and cream, the Lucite and glass coffee table, the piping on the vintage armchairs, the luxe drapes hanging languidly across the imposing windows... 





... and don't even get me started on the Moroccan doors! Come ON! 



Photos via Elle Decor


I interviewed Stam over the phone last year and was convinced that she had smoked a large quantity of pot directly before we spoke; I like to think that this is her Getting High Chaise. You see that vase sitting atop the Marcel Wanders stool? I'll bet that's where her bong normally goes. 
Related Posts with Thumbnails