Friday, February 19, 2010

Sophie Dahl and Vogue: Voluptuous Delights Indeed



Thanks to an office move, I had the distinct pleasure of working from home today and man, do I ever need to figure out how to do that more often. I got stuff done, ran some necessary errands, made a nice lunch for myself, enjoyed the sunshine streaming in through the windows (sunshine! windows!) and reveled in the absolute silence of my apartment. Then, when everything that needed to be accomplished had been accomplished, I spent an incredibly luxurious two hours curled up with my cats, a pot of Moroccan mint tea and the March issue of Vogue. Was it just my good mood or this actually one of the best issues Vogue has done in ages? Bizarro cover choice aside (I can just hear Amy Poehler and Seth Meyers in my head saying, "Really, Tiny Fey, REALLY?"), I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of truly interesting, non-inane features inside. I guess I've gotten so used to being disappointed by Vogue month after month that when they actually produce a great issue, it feels like a revelation. 




My favourite article was a piece by Sophie Dahl about body issues and her own complex relationship with food — as a former plus-sized model who shrank down to the teensiest of sample sizes and has been defined by her weight throughout her entire career, Dahl is more qualified than most to write about these things. What I love is that she does so quietly, gracefully and with her usual mix of honesty and charm. Her 2008 novel Playing with the Grown-ups is one of my favourite books, and I've been eagerly awaiting a follow-up ever since. I adore the way Dahl writes. She's had the kind of fascinating life that makes me wish I could be friends with her, just to hear those wry, beguiling stories come tumbling out of her mouth. Her memoir-slash-cookbook, Miss Dahl's Voluptuous Delights, was published in the UK forever ago and is finally coming out in North America in March; I'm dying to get my hands on it and maybe even try out a recipe or two. Now if she would only start working on another novel... How about it, Sophie? Yes? 
Related Posts with Thumbnails